[Dshield] DHS wants to silence reporting of network outages --DSHIELD next?

Roberts, Chris CRoberts at Limitedbrands.com
Thu Jun 24 22:58:07 GMT 2004

I'm sorry a Fahrenheit 9/11 party is probably not allowed under the current
restrictions. Something about civil unrest?

>From a Non-US member living in this "society"

Chris Roberts
Information Security, Chaos Anomalist (CISSP)
Limitedbrands Technology Services

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces at lists.dshield.org [mailto:list-bounces at lists.dshield.org]
On Behalf Of Jon R. Kibler
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 1:24 PM
To: list at lists.dshield.org
Subject: [Dshield] DHS wants to silence reporting of network outages
--DSHIELD next?

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security wants information about network
outages to become secret! See:
	http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/24/network_outages/print.html

What is next in our government's continuing expansion of paranoia?
  - Will they next try to silence dshield.org and incidents.org's reporting
of port scans because it may give terrorists some idea if their scans are
being detected?
  - How about suppressing discussions of security problems on BugTraq,
DShield, SANS, SecurityFocus, and other forums because it may give
terrorists ideas on what exploits work best?

Where will it end?

It really sickens me how our civil liberties are being eroded day by day
under the guise of "national security." I would rather be a lot less secure
and much more free!

Maybe we should all have a Fahrenheit 9/11 party?

End of rant (for now). Apologies to non-US list members.

Jon Kibler
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer