[Dshield] DHS wants to silence reporting of network outages --DSHIELD next?

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Thu Jun 24 23:10:39 GMT 2004

John Draper wrote:
> I didn't vote for him...  and I sure as hell hope we ALL vote wisely in Nov.

Which, regardless of your politics, brings up an important point: In many, if
not most states, voter registration roles close 90 days before an election. If
you plan to vote in November, that means that you have about 6 weeks left in
which you can register to vote. Like John, I encourage EVERYONE to REGISTER AND
VOTE!

Now I know this is getting more off topic (and I apologize to those outside of
the U.S.), but I don't think the average American realizes HOW IMPORTANT each
vote is. I have been actively involved in politics my entire life. The average
person would not believe the number of elections that are won or lost by less
than one vote per precinct.

For example: I sit on the county executive committee of a major political party.
Last week, we had to decide whether or not to rerun a primary election because
one voting machine malfunctioned and did not count any votes in a county council
district. No candidate received a majority vote, so a runoff was required. The
second and third place candidates were separated by less than 6 votes (< 0.5%).
The third place candidate disputed the results and provided affidavits from
disenfranchised voters that showed if that machine had been working properly,
they would have been the second place candidate and eligible for the runoff. We
unanimously voted to throw out the election.

Think your vote your vote will not make a difference? Every single vote is
important! Your vote could make the difference in who wins or loses an election.

SO, PLEASE REGISTER AND VOTE! It is both your civic duty and patriotic
responsibility to do so. And please be informed on the issues and candidates,
too.

(Step down from soap box.)
Jon Kibler

P.S. Yes, before someone asks, it was a touch-screen electronic voting
machine that malfunctioned, and the malfunction was due to human error. jk
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer