[Dshield] DHS wants to silence reporting of network outages--DSHIELD next?

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Fri Jun 25 15:23:18 GMT 2004

Well, I don't know exactly where Bum#$%^, NE is (and I was stationed in
NE for several years back in the '70s), but I am of the opinion that a
cable being backhoed isn't exactly Top Secret material, either.  I
suspect that UBL could figure out that some of our infrastructure is
vulnerable to idiots with construction machinery -- after all, the local
Telco has signs on every truck that say something like "Call us before
you dig -- it's the law!"  Not only that, but we map out exactly where
those vulnerable lines are, by putting pretty multi-colored flags over
the spots where the line is (to keep the backhoes from cutting us off
from our spam and pourn and telemarketing calls and whatnot.)

You do bring up a good point, however.  We have to balance free flow of
information with safeguarding those "essential elements".  It's the same
as in InfoSec -- a completely secure system is totally unusable.  So,
you have to evaluate the risks, and *balance* those risks against the
benefits of granting access.   The devils in the details, however --
what is the dividing line between "essential liberties" and "essential
elements of friendly information"?  I suspect a whole lot lies in the
gray area between the two, which is why this will be a topic of ongoing
debate on this list (and elsewhere, once Johannes decides to declare
this thread dead.)

--
Cheers,
Ed Truitt