[Dshield] DHS wants to silence reporting of network outages--DSHIELD next?

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:25:26 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 08:23, Ed Truitt wrote:
> I suspect that UBL could figure out that some of our infrastructure is
> vulnerable to idiots with construction machinery -- after all, the local
> Telco has signs on every truck that say something like "Call us before
> you dig -- it's the law!"  Not only that, but we map out exactly where
> those vulnerable lines are, by putting pretty multi-colored flags over
> the spots where the line is (to keep the backhoes from cutting us off
> from our spam and pourn and telemarketing calls and whatnot.)

Hmm. Scenario: Terrorist (or jerk) has idea where major fiber backbone
is. Calls Blue Stakes, waits for flags. Rents backhoe. Digs trench where
flags are.

Serious or annoying?

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ                           <johnh at aproposretail.com>
  ...the Fates notice those who buy chainsaws...