[Dshield] New scam??

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Tue Jun 29 15:09:09 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 10:47, Michael Thayer wrote:

> The only way I can see this working is by claiming my prize, and then
> giving them a bunch of info I shouldn't.  Anyway, hadn't seen one like this
> before. Is it new, or do I lead a sheltered e-life?

This was a variation on a few different off-line con artist scams, and
possibly even the notorious Nigerian scams you undoubtedly have heard
of.

The con artists will require some form of security deposit or perhaps an
account number to transfer your funds to... while I wouldn't rule out
the more heavily handed insistence on personal delivery (you must travel
to them), where you find yourself mugged or worse.

If you don't personally enter a sweepstakes or lottery, don't count on
winning one.

Alan Frayer, CNE, CNI, CIW CI, MCP, Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Member: Independent Consultants Association (ICA)
Consultants - FREE Directory Listing - http://www.ica-assn.org