[Dshield] New scam??

Joe Matusiewicz joem at nist.gov
Tue Jun 29 15:13:46 GMT 2004

At 10:47 AM 6/29/2004, Michael Thayer wrote:
>The only way I can see this working is by claiming my prize, and then
>giving them a bunch of info I shouldn't.  Anyway, hadn't seen one like
>this before. Is it new, or do I lead a sheltered e-life?
>

>>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:21:14 +0200
>>From: info_loto at telstra.com
>>Subject: CONGRATULATIONS: FINAL  NOTIFICATION

This is a variation of the Nigerian 419 scam.  I started seeing these about
10 months ago.  Actually, I had 3 different winning notifications for
lotteries I never heard of in my inbox yesterday.  Someone bites on these
things.  My favorite 419 variant was the story of the Nigerian astronaut.

CONGRATULATIONS:

You're not on all the spam/scam lists like I am.

-- Joe