[Dshield] New scam??

Josh Ballard bal at ksu.edu
Tue Jun 29 15:03:34 GMT 2004

> Is it new, or do I lead a sheltered e-life?
Well, I've never seen this specific one, but similar.  It looks like a
bad attempt, but could be just good enough to fool some people.  One of
the most interesting things that I think might get overlooked is that
they never specifically identify you, the recipient.  No comment on who
you are, like your name or something.  If you entered into an actual
drawing, they would have more information on you.  Though, as this one
claims, they just randomly drew your e-mail address out of a list.  Now
tell me, are you going to go around handing out 50k Euros to someone at
a random e-mail address?  Please.

> You were entered as dependent clients with: Reference
> Number:NM/BC921245/KY13, and Batch number NM/207161/KOP.Your
> email address attached to the ticket number: 46939 that drew the
> lucky winning number, which consequently won the sweep take in
> the second category, in four parts.
Well, since you never entered anything, I'd say it's pretty solid it's a
scam.  Also, reading through here, there is terrible grammar and
formatting, all tells of likely scams.

> Due to mixed up of some names and addresses, we ask that you
> keep this award personal, till your claims has been processed
> and your funds remitted to you.This is part of our security
> measures to avoid double claiming or unwarranted taking
> advantage of the situation by other participants or impersonators.
This seems pretty obvious to me.  They tell you not to tell anyone about
it, because they don't want someone to turn around and tell you it's a
scam.  Many of these scams have claims like this in the name of
"security," which they believe uninformed people will just accept
because security is such a huge topic and people think they can't
understand it anyway so they just accept anything in the name of
"security."

Josh Ballard
oofle.com Security
http://www.oofle.com/