[Dshield] Email security poll WAS: Re: Password protected Bagle.F

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Tue Mar 2 15:32:44 GMT 2004

John Hardin wrote:
> Why would I want to accept a zipped executable file attachment ... <SNIP!>

This got me thinking... and I would like to do an informal poll of this list's users.
Reply to me offlist and I will publish the results this weekend.
Identity of replies will be kept confidential and all replies deleted after tabulation.

Please respond YES (Y), NO (N), or Not Applicable (N/A):
Does your organization perform any screening of email attachments?

Does your organization perform A-V checks on all email attachments?

Does your organization perform any checks on email attachment file type?

Does your organization allow users to receive executable content attachments?

Does your organization allow users to receive zip file or similar compressed attachments?

Does your organization allow users to receive MS Office and similar type files that may contain macro viruses?

Does your organization allow users to receive embedded or attached HTML email?

Does your organization allow users to receive active content attachments, such as HTML with <SCRIPT> tags?

Please respond as appropriate:
What AV engine do you use to screen email attachments (Symantec, NAI, FProtect, Trend, ClamAV, etc)?

How often does your organization update its AV signatures?

Thanks! Will publish results this weekend.
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer