[Dshield] New Agobot infection here?

john beck jbeck80 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 22:15:36 GMT 2004

To me this looks like browser hi jacking by malware (spyware/adware), run
spybot s&d scan and clean (imunize and modify the host file using spybot)
and ad aware (scan and clean, it catches more than spybot but does not have
the tools to prevent reinfection)  This is very typical of spam coming into
email and user opening or clicking link.  Antivirus does not pick up all
malware, I work at many places (work a holic) at local college where we can
not content filter (get labeled as Nazi's) the malware walks all over and
sophos stands quitely doing nothing.  Antivirus is only half way to keeping
systems clean.  And even now I have seen countermeasures of spybot get
trashed by malware (host file gets remodified to connect to malserver,
imunize made ineffective, etc).  If you have ever seen someones email
(outlook) get hi jacked by "popnav" and held hostage as it displays its ad,
you would know what I mean, and if you are like many other engineers and
think, "I don't go to those sites so I do not have it, run the formentioned
utils and see:)  Just like all the others I have edificated:)

2¢