[Dshield] Password protected Bagle.F

Daniel G. Kluge dkluge at acm.org
Fri Mar 5 12:22:21 GMT 2004

Am 01.03.2004 um 22:35 schrieb John Hardin:

> Why would I want to accept a zipped executable file attachment from
> some
> random user on the Internet at large, whatever it may be named? In the
> majority of cases such messages can be automatically quarantined or
> discarded outright.

Actually why not? I got the following two, and acm.org is an email
forwarding service, the other domain is just out of coincidence doing
an email-server relocation, and I got two there. Of course it won't
work for me, this is not a PC, and some of the attachments are actually
quite hard to detach on a Mac...

From: managment at acm.org
Betreff: 	Important notify about your e-mail account.

Hello user of Acm.org e-mail server,

Our antivirus software has detected a large  ammount of viruses
outgoing
from your  email account,  you may  use our  free anti-virus tool to
clean up
your  computer software.

For further details see the attach.

For  security  purposes the attached file is password protected.
Password is "81542".

Sincerely,
    The Acm.org team                             http://www.acm.org

<SNIP>
Von: 	  support at none-of-your-business.org
	Betreff: 	Notify about your e-mail account utilization.

Dear user of  none-of-your-business.org,

We warn  you about some attacks  on your e-mail account. Your computer
may
contain  viruses, in  order to keep your computer and e-mail account
safe,
please, follow the instructions.

Pay attention  on  attached  file.

For security  purposes the attached file is  password protected.
Password is "".

The Management,
    The none-of-your-business.org team
http://www.none-of-your-business.org

<SNIP>
	Von: 	  support at none-of-your-business.org
	Betreff: 	Notify about using the e-mail account.

Dear  user of  e-mail server  "none-of-your-business.org",

Our  main mailing server will be  temporary unavaible for next  two
days,
to continue receiving mail in these days you have  to configure our free
auto-forwarding service.

Further details can  be obtained  from attached file.

Sincerely,
     The none-of-your-business.org  team
http://www.none-of-your-business.org

<SNIP>

Here are the strings of the latest installment, pretty clever social
engineering.

management@
administration@
staff@
noreply@
support@
E-mail account security warning.
Notify about using the e-mail account.
Warning about your e-mail account.
Important notify about your e-mail account.
Email account utilization warning.
Notify about your e-mail account utilization.
E-mail account disabling warning.
Dear user of %s,
Dear user of %s gateway e-mail server,
Dear user of e-mail server "%s",
Hello user of %s e-mail server,
Dear user of "%s" mailing system,
Dear user, the management of %s mailing system wants to let you know
that,
Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized
access.
Our main mailing server will be temporary unavaible for next two days,
to continue receiving mail in these days you have to configure our free
auto-forwarding service.
Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in next
three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your
account information.
We warn you about some attacks on your e-mail account. Your computer may
contain viruses, in order to keep your computer and e-mail account safe,
please, follow the instructions.
Our antivirus software has detected a large ammount of viruses outgoing
from your email account, you may use our free anti-virus tool to clean
up
your computer software.
Some of our clients complained about the spam (negative e-mail content)
outgoing from your e-mail account. Probably, you have been infected by
a proxy-relay trojan server. In order to keep your computer safe,
follow the instructions.
For more information see the attached file.
Further details can be obtained from attached file.
Advanced details can be found in attached file.
For details see the attach.
For details see the attached file.
For further details see the attach.
Please, read the attach for further details.
Pay attention on attached file.
    The %s team
http://www.%s
The Management,
Sincerely,
Best wishes,
Have a good day,
Cheers,
Kind regards,
For security reasons attached file is password protected. The password
is "%s".
For security purposes the attached file is password protected. Password
is "%s".
Attached file protected with the password for security reasons.
Password is %s.
In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: %s.