[Dshield] A New/Old Scam or what

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Sat Mar 6 03:21:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Al Reust wrote:

> Subject: [Dshield] A New/Old Scam or what

> Be Warned! Please, do not just click on the link(s). You are greeted with a
> popup dialog box that wants you to scan now! Just Click "OK" or a button
> that wants you to execute this URL
>
> http://www.spywarenukerdownload.com/index.php?id=ward2sc1n*

I pulled the page down with wget, and saw all I needed to see- Trekblue.
IMNSHO, pure Spyware/Adware. Quite sometime ago, I found their
"spywarenuker". This is when I ran Windows. So, being curious about it, I
downloaded it and began to check it out. If you look very, very carefully,
in their legal mumbo-jumbo fine print, it says, in plain terms, if you use
their product, this "spywarenuker", they then have the right to "upgrade
it" without you knowing (on the grounds that you supposedly gave consent
by simply using it), can target ads at you (read: Adware), and a bunch of
unsavory things. I was so shocked that I saved that "legal agreement" from
them for a long time. I'm not sure if I still have it now, a full
different OS later, but I'd bet it's on a backup someplace. Besides, even
if you doubt my experience with them, do you really want to do business
with a company that attempts to sell their products based on scare
tactics? Click that "scan my pc link" and you just downloaded file
'SpywareNukerInstaller.exe'. Scan != Download file. Spybot S&D, Adware-
those apps are AFAIK freely downloadable and come without the questionable
background; if you need spyware removers.

%jayjwa%  RLF#37 VxL at Atr2 tct xrl: B628B851
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html