[Dshield] do I have a virus?

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Sat Mar 6 13:50:56 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 18:13, lmc wrote:

> I'm confused that the message was sent to the list that I'm on from MY email
> address, yet it didn't come from my computer.  There are no copies of
> anything in my sent box that I haven't knowingly sent.   I'm thinking that
> someone who has my email address in their contact list has the virus.  Does
> that mean that the virus takes email addresses from contact list of the pc
> it is on and uses it to send email to other addresses in the contact list?

Cheryl, this is so common a ploy used by virus/worm writers that it's
practically the standard, now, and THE argument for turning off bounce
messages on server-based anti-virus software. The virus doesn't identify
the infected host in it's outgoing mail - that would be stupid from
their point of view. The virus grabs both the source and destination
addresses from one or more files inside the infected computer's hard
drive.

So, in a nutshell, you may not be infected; more likely, someone who has
had e-mail contact with you in the past is infected, and is rewarding
you with the viruses and bounce messages.

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Member: Independent Consultants Association (ICA)
Consultants - FREE Directory Listing - http://www.ica-assn.org