[Dshield] Good e-mail client?

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 03:01:19 GMT 2004

Hey everyone.

Thanks for the tips.  I am going to compare Pegasus and Mozilla for a bit.

As far as promoting the use of "safe" programs...

Let me head off one argument right away:
Someone is going to mention that "security through obscurity" is not the way to go.  To a certain extent I believe that this is true, and that using applications which are not widespread (OpenOffice, free mail clients, etc.) in an effort to "dodge" common traps is not a very robust solution to security concerns.  To use the biological metaphor, malware exists because there is a niche in which it can exist; if we promote "safe" software and everyone starts using it, then it would only be a matter of time before someone begins finding vulnerabilities and so forth.

However!  ...If I use open-source software there is a good chance that any vulnerabilities in the package will be found and will be patched long before someone can write exploit code or a worm.  That's the great thing about open source--the community makes it strong.  There are numerous examples of M$ failing to patch on time when they KNEW there were vulnerabilities...I don't need to explore this.

So for this reason I'm installing open software this time through.

Another great thing is COST!
The company for which I work uses a commercial IDS solution which costs on the order of many hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I am *THIS CLOSE* to convincing my boss to fund a couple of linux boxen running snort, feeding a mysql database, which is analyzed by R.  All free, free, free!  Wish me luck :)

Regards,

Pete