[Dshield] Good e-mail client?

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 13:46:33 GMT 2004

Laurent,

your idea regarding the promotion of safe software is laudable and
unassailable. The problem I think is having an objective measure of
software safety that the average consumer can both understand and
believe in and that also identifies the interoperability capabilities
with other software products that may be more or less safe (e.g.
Openoffice<=>Microsoft Office interoperability).  I haven't had the time
myself to investigate thoroughly what IBM ( a for profit company if
there ever was one) is doing with respect to Opensource beyond their
significant investment in Linux but I suspect that IBM would welcome any
kind of independent and credible testing organization that could show in
an unbiased way how a set of similar software products (e.g. email
clients) compare in terms of their safety. A good place to start on
something like this might be the Tolly Group
(http://www.tolly.com/Corporate/Corporate_Home.aspx) whose roots if I am
not mistaken were in the testing of datacomms products during the mid
1990's. Better still might be a university sponsored research product
(and if in the US perhaps with funding from the DHS) that attempts to
change the paradigm of the discussion regarding relative software
product safety from  throwing dirt on the products one does not like to
dealing with facts in a way that people can easily turn into consumer
action. If Ralph Nader were not currently occupying a slot on the
presidential ballot in the US he might be interested in taking up such a
challenge. In fact the more I think about it, it surprises me that none
of the organizations that he presently is or formerly was associated
with, have taken up the challenge of this issue.

 --

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International