[Dshield] secure erasing

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Sat Mar 13 13:20:13 GMT 2004

list-bounces at dshield.org <mailto:list-bounces at dshield.org> wrote on
Friday, March 12, 2004 3:36 PM UTC+2 on behalf of Jeroen Ruigrok

|| I'm going to be donating some workstations to a local charity and
|| want to erase the hard drives.  I did a little digging and found
|| http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/ .  Has anyone tried this util?  Are
|| there any other recommendations?  We're not talking high level
|| security items on any of the disks, I'd just like to make sure
|| they're clean.
|
| That kind of stuff would be good enough, because short of shredding,
| burning and otherwise destroying the disks you cannot get rid off the
| data.

Jeroen, Paul et al.

I would recommend the following paper as a guide for secure deletion.
Having read the paper and possibly having studied related research
documents, one can form her/his opinion that methods for secure deletion
exist and are 'business as usual' in several computing environments,
also home computing.

Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory

Peter Gutmann
Department of Computer Science
University of Auckland

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

While there are several methods for thorough wiping of data from
magnetic media, to my understanding, Peter Gutmann's method is treated
as most secure. Use the Gutmann 35 pass method to achieve the maximum
level of security.

I would think that there are several products available complying with
the Gutmann method, also free of charge.

One program that I am familiar with while however using the product for
mainly entirely other purposes is PINs, a Secure Password Manager, GPL
freeware by Mirek Wojtowicz, at http://www.mirekw.com/ . (This program
uses 448 bit Blowfish method for encryption. This program is highly
recommendable for secure storage of passwords and other personal
information. PINs' full source code is also available.)

HTH,

- Pete

  "Nature has placed in our minds an insatiable longing to see the
truth."
  Marcus Tullius Cicero (106BC-43BC); Roman statesman, scholar and
orator.