[Dshield] Opensource Syslog Software for Microsoft OS

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Sat Mar 13 18:30:13 GMT 2004

list-bounces at dshield.org <mailto:list-bounces at dshield.org> wrote on
Friday, March 12, 2004 5:25 PM UTC+2 on behalf of John Holmblad

| Wayne,
|
| thanks for the info. I checked out the Kiwi site and it appears that
| there is a no-cost version as well as a for-cost version. Do you know
| if the no-cost version  is sufficient to work with CVTWIN?

John et al.

The free or no-cost SERVICE version works great with CVTWIN.

I have good experience with Kiwi Syslog Daemon _Service version_
together with a Linksys router with built in SPI firewall in W2KPro
environment. DShield Universal Firewall Client CVTWIN works like charm
with this combination.

The messages produced by Kiwi could be less cryptic, but what I like is
that you can so easily automate the entire submissions of logs to
DShield.

If memory serves well, there are add on tools for reporting and
analysing the logged traffic if it would become of interest.

Incidentally, Technical Support of Kiwi Enterprises recommends running
the Kiwi Syslog Daemon Service with administrative privileges (instead
of running the service signed on as Local System).

Is there a security risk involved in running the Kiwi Syslog Daemon
Service with administrative privileges?

Does anyone know of running the service signed on as, e.g. a special
account with minimum, but sufficient privileges? What would those
privileges be?

HTH & TIA,

- Pete

                 "In expanding the field of knowledge,
              we but increase the horizon of ignorance."
                Henry Miller (1891-1980); US author.