[Dshield] secure erasing

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Sat Mar 13 21:44:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Paul Marsh wrote:

> I'm going to be donating some workstations to a local charity and want
> to erase the hard drives.

I use 'srm', 'smem', and 'sfill', for wiping files, memory, swap and
un-used diskspace. Supposedly, a man by the name of Gutmann did some
research on this and came up with a very secure method, involving multiple
passes, random numbers, and such. The tools were collectively known as
'Secure Delete' and written by THC, but they should be on
packetstormsecurity.nl website. These are *nix tools, and come as source
code. I think I still have the source around.

%jayjwa%  RLF#37 VxL at Atr2 tct xrl: B628B851
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html