[Dshield] WSJ.com - PC Users Deserve A Free, Simple Service To Handle All Threats

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 20:01:50 GMT 2004

pfunkjr.dissimulo.com

I agree with Mossberg's point completely. It is those of us who have
participated in the development and proliferation of all of this
technology over the last 30 years or so who have to take responsibility
for fixing it once and for all. The operational philosophy  of the
ISOC/IETF (to whom it was attributed I don't know) was "rough consensus
and running code" which served the rapid development of the technologies
of the Internet for a generation or so. That philosophy is no longer
good enough because it at least partially explains why, for example, we
have such an insecure and spoofable technology as SMTP. Security now has
to come first even if it takes longer (witness the debacle of the first
round of 802.11 security) to get it right. As a technologist it
embarrasses me to have to explain to a non-technical user why they have
to be so careful with respect to email in order to avoid getting the
latest malware infection. It didn't start out that way, an only became
so, because security took a back seat to functionality/useability. It is
time to stop complaining about users and a) educate those who most need
the education about the poor security inherent in today's systems  and
b) get to work on fixing them for future generations.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International