[Dshield] [Off topic] Security history

Erwin Van de Velde erwin.vandevelde at ua.ac.be
Mon Mar 15 20:02:43 GMT 2004

Hi,

I haven't said much on this list lately, but I'm still very busy writing my
master thesis. Now, I'm looking for some history background of network
security to start my thesis with (so I can claim that I have done something
useful ;-)). I have found some general information with ancient (1970-1990)
attacks, but I'm also interested in more recent attacks, preferably with some
numbers too: How many computers were infected, damage caused, ... So I could
demonstrate the rise in attacks. I already found some numbers on www.cert.org
too, but I didn't find them for some examples in particular like 'I love
you'-bug, sqlslammer, blaster or so.

I was wondering if someone knows where I can find that.
Johannes, do you have some information about recent viruses (2001-now)? Like
number of infections, how fast that dshield found out about them, ...

The more the better I should say, allthough it is only an introduction, so 50
pages is perhaps a little to much :-)

Thanks in advance!
Erwin Van de Velde
Student of University of Antwerp