[Dshield] Obscure Question Part2

Paul Marsh pmarsh at nmefdn.org
Tue Mar 16 02:12:28 GMT 2004

Below is the Nmap and Fport output of the same machine.  Nmap shows the ports open and Fport shows nothing listening on the ports.  After digging around I scanned a few other Adelphia cable modems and found the same ports open.  These must be the ports they use to manage the modems?

Thanx, Paul

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap )
Warning:  OS detection will be MUCH less reliable because we did not find at least 1 open and 1 closed TCP port
Insufficient responses for TCP sequencing (0), OS detection may be less accurate
Insufficient responses for TCP sequencing (0), OS detection may be less accurate
Insufficient responses for TCP sequencing (0), OS detection may be less accurate
Interesting ports on .adelphia.net (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx):
(The 1597 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
389/tcp    open        ldap
1002/tcp   open        unknown
1720/tcp   open        H.323/Q.931
Too many fingerprints match this host for me to give an accurate OS guess
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 785 seconds

SORRY ABOUT THE WORD WRAP :(

Pid Process Port Proto Path
416 svchost -> 135 TCP C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
8 System -> 139 TCP
8 System -> 445 TCP
752 MSTask -> 1025 TCP C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
8 System -> 1026 TCP
1124 ccApp -> 1028 TCP C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccApp.exe
828 iexplore -> 1143 TCP C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe
828 iexplore -> 1144 TCP C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe
828 iexplore -> 1147 TCP C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe
828 iexplore -> 1153 TCP C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe

8 System -> 137 UDP
8 System -> 138 UDP
8 System -> 445 UDP
220 lsass -> 500 UDP C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
828 iexplore -> 1031 UDP C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe