[Dshield] Best Hardware / Security Set-up for SBS 2003 w/T-1

Josh Tolley josh at raintreeinc.com
Thu Mar 18 21:06:29 GMT 2004

Was it this list or another I'm on that just had a long discussion of
the merits and shortcomings of ISA server? My (limited) experience with
ISA server is that it's a pain to configure, and since it runs on
Windows I wouldn't trust it without another firewall in front of it
(your opinion may vary -- please don't flame me for mine). The result of
the discussion on whatever list it was ended up being that ISA is nice
because of its interoperation with other MS products, but that it was
best applied as an internal firewall, and that perimeter machines should
be something more easily hardened. If you're implementing a Cisco box
anyway, I'd say use it for most of the firewalling you need and depend
on ISA as little as possible.

Josh Tolley

--
Josh Tolley