[Dshield] WSJ.com - PC Users Deserve A Free, Simple Service To Handle All Threats

jayjwa jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx
Fri Mar 19 02:53:33 GMT 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 lew001 at globetrotter.net wrote:

> The way I see it, wrt the automobile analogy, the current Internet situation
> is somewhat like ...

<snip auto analogies>

> The hassle/enjoyment ratio is much higher for computers nowadays than for
> cars...

I wonder... maybe in the future, because of such troubles, we'll see more
of this: a number of larger, multi-user systems maintained by a person
(group?) whos duty it is to do so. For example, a Linux box where people,
like the person given in the example who only wants to get online of a few
minutes a week/day to collect his email and search a couple web pages, are
given shell accounts to login and do their business there. It may be like
"Dad, I know so-and-so from work, he's got himself setup a well-maintained
system, why don't you get an account on that machine instead of trying to
maintain one yourself?" There may be a small fee to pay, then the user
would connect with something like a stripped-down terminal, with no hard
disk, no apps, nothing to be exploited or used in a malicious way. Just a
simple connection to login to another system where the real work occurs.
No emails can open on that terminal, no utilities or applications run- it
does one thing and one thing only, it connects to another system.
I could see a market for this. I must agree, it does take more these days
to keep your machine healthy and secure. Arguably, it is too much for some
people. This may be a way for them to get the functionality they need
without the hassle of having to be their own sysadmin and security
department.

--
[jayjwa]
Microsoft Internet Explorer: "Never trust a