[Dshield] WSJ.com - PC Users Deserve A Free, Simple Service To Handle All Threats

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 14:16:31 GMT 2004

Hey Jayjwa,

Interesting comments.

It's not the first time in the past week or so that I've heard people arguing for a return to the "mainframe" concept, at least as far as centralizing security, patch management, and the like.  I think that to a certain extent what most users need is an appliance for playing games and checking e-mail--and that's about IT.  Instead, people have a lot more system than they need--with all that added capability they have more to watch out for and thus a great probability of getting nailed.

I better go dust off my copy of MajorBBS now :)

Regards,
Pete

jayjwa <jayjwa at atr2.ath.cx> wrote:

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 lew001 at globetrotter.net wrote:

> The way I see it, wrt the automobile analogy, the current Internet situation
> is somewhat like ...

> The hassle/enjoyment ratio is much higher for computers nowadays than for
> cars...

I wonder... maybe in the future, because of such troubles, we'll see more
of this: a number of larger, multi-user systems maintained by a person
(group?) whos duty it is to do so. For example, a Linux box where people,
like the person given in the example who only wants to get online of a few
minutes a week/day to collect his email and search a couple web pages, are
given shell accounts to login and do their business there. It may be like
"Dad, I know so-and-so from work, he's got himself setup a well-maintained
system, why don't you get an account on that machine instead of trying to
maintain one yourself?" There may be a small fee to pay, then the user
would connect with something like a stripped-down terminal, with no hard
disk, no apps, nothing to be exploited or used in a malicious way. Just a
simple connection to login to another system where the real work occurs.
No emails can open on that terminal, no utilities or applications run- it
does one thing and one thing only, it connects to another system.
I could see a market for this. I must agree, it does take more these days
to keep your machine healthy and secure. Arguably, it is too much for some
people. This may be a way for them to get the functionality they need
without the hassle of having to be their own sysadmin and security
department.

--
[jayjwa]
Microsoft Internet Explorer: "Never trust a