[Dshield] Where should one start?

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Sat Mar 20 03:40:15 GMT 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:24:03PM -0800, Joseph Stahley 3rd wrote:
> From: "Joseph Stahley 3rd" <jestahley3 at cox.net>
> To: "'General DShield Discussion List'" <list at dshield.org>
> Subject: RE: [Dshield] Where should one start?
> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:24:03 -0800
>
> If you want to get down to root causes, blame the computer salesman

/* snip-a-lot */

> Hopefully there is a lawyer in this group who can find out what
> computer re-sellers are liable for, I'm sure it may vary state to
> state, but a general idea would be helpful.

Nonsense.

Ever heard of caveat emptor?

> I just bought a new computer for my parents a few days ago, WINXP SP1,
> I had to install close to 15 patches upon plugging in for first time,
> virus defs from norton 2 months old and no ad-ware detection programs
> installed, pretty crappy security from the get go with the Alerter
> service, Messenger service and remote registry edit service all turned
> on. At this point I am half tempted to write to my congress person,
> but like all politicians, she is probably being "donated" to by these
> same businesses and technology sectors.

Take a deep breath and put the blame where it belongs.

Microsoft doesn't need to make or sell secure operating systems
because it has a monopoly stranglehold on the market for desktop
computer operating systems.

The same holds true for applications.

Microsoft's monopoly and its monolithic bureaucracy means it doesn't
care, because it doesn't have to, and because it can't.

End of story.

- John
--
"Mad cow? You'd be mad too, if someone was trying to eat you."