[Dshield] Where should one start?

John Dalton dubuque_1 at msn.com
Sat Mar 20 18:35:26 GMT 2004

Doug,
    Just to drop a line on two comments. As a tech Bench at a major
electronics big box retailer, two things bother me. First was the remark
about just pushing the computers out the door without any concern. Our
standard is that every machine that goes out our doors has been setup (free)
so that all the initial installations are running, i.e. Symantec is at least
running or McAfee is is. We offer the service (for pay) to do a
customization that tweaks some parameters, and most importantly installs 17
patches and fixes. Generally charging $25 for this service. I also
personally make sure script blocking, email protection, and automatic
updates are set for the Symantec suite of products at least, and all this
before it leaves store.We do mention and emphatically remind the customer
should they not avail themselves of this service, that it is very important
that they do the windows updates and antivirus updates immediately upon
hooking up to their ISP's. BTW we do this with a automated program some
other stores techs have designed over the past year or so on their own. As
well if the customer comes in with severe slowness problems, it is almost
always spyware, and we install ad-aware or spybot or both to clean, and
suggest the customer keep it up to date and send a donation if possible to
the one that survives on them I have seen as many as 1500 spyware hits on
one machine, and it took 3 passes to clean.
    I guess my point is there are retailers out there who are concerned
about what they are sending out there as far as prepared computers. And
would hope other retailers would at least try to send protected machines
out. I have seen customers who come back within a day or two who were
infected almost immediately upon hooking to their ISP's and was able to
build a personal list of which ISP's blocked blaster and which did not, at
least on local pools.
    One final thing, we do not work on commission at this chain, so many
times the main emphasis is that when you get the machine home, that
everything works, and you do  not have to do anything to protect yourself
beyond common don't open unknown programs/emails for the next year.This
includes suggesting buying the antivirus subscription with one year of
service at time of purchase, since most systems have a trial 60 day setup on
them.