[Dshield] Where should you start - I'll wrap it myself

Roger Gelder roger.gelder at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 21 14:48:49 GMT 2004

OK, most responses have been, reasonably so from the point of view of this being 'Dshield', concerned with the defensive approach. I was more interested in the offensive - rooting out the writers and distributors of the rubbish -difficult but not impossible. Only one of the replies seemed to feel that that was appropriate, which is surprising, given the damage.

However, I would have thought that with all the tracing and tracking effort put in place by the many subscribers to this list, that some reporting of these activities would have been possible. Whether such efforts result in reports to those with the legal authority to bring criminal proceedings - and thus 'terminate with prejudice' - take away their PCs and heavily fine/jail or whatever, does not seem to be happening. The result is the continuance of damage.

So, whenever I get a scam, attempted "Fill in your bank account details here" message , I DO report it to the cover name such as Ebay or my local bank, whose-ever name has been abused. I don't know enough about tracking and tracing to be competent in that field, so I am grateful for your efforts on my behalf.
    BUT, do you report the 'criminals' and end their activities, or, at least, make life difficult for them?

        Best Wishes for continuing efforts
                Roger
                                                            End of story - for now.