[Dshield] OT dynamic IP

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 01:12:40 GMT 2004

Hello Paul et al

At 02:06 PM 3/22/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
>
> > man, 22.03.2004 kl. 16.41 skrev Paul Marsh:
> >
> > > Anyone have any suggestions on dynamic IP tools for converting them into
> > > pseudo static IP's?
> >
> > An IP number is granted from "the instance above you". Whether that be
> > the network administration at your organization or your ISP. That
> > number, once having been configured (static or dynamic) can never be
> > transformed into anything "pseudo". You are at the mercy of the higher
> > authority and must so stay.
> >
> > What's the actual problem?
> >
> > --Tonni
> >
> > --
>
>I think what he is looking for is something like http://www.dyndns.org/ ,
>which allows you to have static host name with a dynamic IP.  So then you
>can register foobar.com and have it point to your dynamic ip and it will
>update the dns records when you change ips..
>
>hth,
>Jeff
>

>-+-
>
>There is only one rule -- innovate
>
>- Drexciya

The one that I purchased is by RhinoSoft, DNS4me

http://www.dns4me.com/

It has been running for over a year now with no problems.

For those that do not know the client program does, a trace back to the
server and registers the IP on the exterior of your network (DHCP address
on my router). Their service then host DNS for the "chosen name/IP." In my
case my IIS box is one Nat'd IP and my FTP server is on another Nat'd IP.

Should I desire I could register a domain name and allow them to host the
first DNS server. So with the correct Dynamic DNS service you could host
your own domain as mentioned above.

R/

Al