[Dshield] OT dynamic IP

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Tue Mar 23 14:45:04 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 20:12, Al Reust wrote:

> The one that I purchased is by RhinoSoft, DNS4me
>
> http://www.dns4me.com/
>
> It has been running for over a year now with no problems.
>
> For those that do not know the client program does, a trace back to the
> server and registers the IP on the exterior of your network (DHCP address
> on my router). Their service then host DNS for the "chosen name/IP." In my
> case my IIS box is one Nat'd IP and my FTP server is on another Nat'd IP.
>
> Should I desire I could register a domain name and allow them to host the
> first DNS server. So with the correct Dynamic DNS service you could host
> your own domain as mentioned above.

That's actually an interesting idea, but doesn't it cost you the
firewall benefits of NATting? I mean, if the DNS record now shows hosts
in the private side of the router (and this is what you're suggesting,
right?), can't someone access those hosts by their DNS name? Or does the
fact that the addresses attached to those DNS names are still unroutable
addresses leave them protected?

I had wondered how I might apply proper host names to PCs in my private
network when the domain name, web server, and e-mail server I use is
hosted outside the network.

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Member: Independent Consultants Association (ICA)
Consultants - FREE Directory Listing - http://www.ica-assn.org