[Dshield] OT dynamic IP

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 14:18:24 GMT 2004

Al,

I have followed much the same reasoning as you have about the
"unrecoverable" cost to oneself in terms of time spent for ongoing
security efforts as an immediate consequence of  pulling everything
in-house. And after doing this mental math, I too have so far resisted
the use of  dynamic dns services to "expose" services from my internal
network to the Internet other than for experimental purposes. I think
the same argument goes for most small businesses who would be better off
purchasing/obtaining email, www, IM, FTP and collaboration services from
a quality provider that has the economies of scale to offer secure
services at a reasonable price. This past month, on behalf of a
non-profit organization that I belong to, I set up a 30 day trial of a
portal service from a company called Apptix that is being sponsored by
Microsoft

 (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/sharepoint/trial.mspx).

The service is based on Microsoft Sharepoint Services. I think the
Apptix service represents the future potential of service providers to
bundle a secure business grade collaboration service for the small
business community. Of course, any business that uses such services
needs to perform due diligence on the quality and security claims of the
service provider and they must have a backup/recovery strategy that
assures business continuity.

I suspect that most  small businesses,  whether these are businesses who
are end users of IT & telecom, or IT/Telecom service providers
themselves, do not correctly incorporate into their business financial
models (if they even have such models), the ongoing labor + capital
costs of maintaining a secure network environment whatever their OS
baseline is. Consequently these businesses make the mistake of "making"
instead of "buying" (i.e. outsourcing) a solution, only to find out
after the fact that they went down the wrong road from a financial
perspective!.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad