[Dshield] Security in Layers

Richard Ginski rginski at co.pinellas.fl.us
Wed Mar 24 19:02:04 GMT 2004

A fairly popular tool is SNORT. You may want to check it out.

www.snort.org

>>> g.dodd at falk-ross.de 3/24/2004 1:00:50 PM >>>
Hello all,

I want to add another layer to our network security and would
appreciate
advice from the list.

Our setup is Cisco Router with appropriate ACL's, Linux firewall, DMZ
for
mail server (running 2 x AV and SA), and webshop, and our internal
network.

I would like to put a "box" on the internal network to watch for any
unauthorized activity, either someone who got through the outside, or
worm doing it's dirty work from the inside.

My preference would be a Linux computer, but my main problem is I don't
know
what software to run to provide the best detection. I don't want to
start a
"mine is better than yours war" I would just like your experiences and
working solutions.

Thank you for any assistance,

Graham

Graham K. Dodd