[Dshield] Where should one start?

Chuck Lewis clewis at iquest.net
Thu Mar 25 12:41:51 GMT 2004

I am getting very frustrated too. And it isn't just the anonymous folks but
what about all these jerk companies that plant malware and Trojan programs
on our PC's ? I was talking to someone about this the other day and the
point came up that if someone entered our homes and planted a listening
device or camera, etc. that would be illegal. So if someone enters my home
(or business) computer that should fall under the same umbrella. So why
aren't these vendors that CAN be found, dealt with ?

And as for the patch deals - I totally agree with the point that PC's sit
for months before you ever get them. And if you do run auto update it brings
down a TON of stuff the first time. Then you have to turn RIGHT around and
run it again and be amazed at what all it brings down again. Then do this
until it finds nothing else - and MAYBE you are protected. And maybe you
aren't. I was rebuilding a PC the other day at work (W2K Pro) and last year
when there was that Port 135 exploit we had downloaded two patches that each
covered NT, W2K and XP. Will I "thought" I had installed all the latest
patches (Windows Update told me I had) but on a whim I stuck this CD in and
guess what ? One installed just fine, not saying it was already there ! The
other one said it was for SP3 or below and had found a newer SP installed.

And I have not read this in ANY of the trade rag verbiage about updating; if
you are running MS Office you have to run a different Update check for
that... AND this really kills me - some of these updates require the
original MS install CD to completely install ! ! ! So how many companies are
going to be passing around copies of these CD's to every remote location and
WHY THE HECK is Microsoft requiring this CD ?

It gets very frustrating at times :-)

Chuck