[Dshield] whois packets

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Fri Mar 26 17:36:43 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 02:00:13PM -0800, j.travis wrote:
> From: "j.travis" <skynet at psinode.com>
> To: <list at dshield.org>
> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:00:13 -0800
> Subject: [Dshield] whois packets
>
> I need to be able to run a 'whois' script from the command line and
> also from a web form.  So I am planning to specify 3 or 4 of the
> main whois servers to use and only allow tcp port 43 connections to
> those servers.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips along these
> lines for running whois scripts?

You don't specify what OS platform your command line is running on.

You might check out:

http://whois.bw.org/

"Self-detecting CGI support

Simple command-line use

Prevents data harvesting with multiple security features for web use

Optional result caching with an SQL database

Support for available/not available results

Fully customizable HTML output

Support for Apache-style SSI (server-side includes)

External TLD table for support of ALL top-level domains

Fully configurable disclaimer stripping

Automatic support for netblocks

Unpacks packed (single-integer) IP addresses"

- John
--
"Mad cow? You'd be mad too, if someone was trying to eat you."