[Dshield] Security in Layers

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri Mar 26 19:58:51 GMT 2004

tor, 25.03.2004 kl. 23.32 skrev Doug White:

> I watched a Microsoft Webinar on "Security" this morning, and aside from two
> speakers talking a mile a minute, and generally in conflict with each other, I
> got the impression that the good folks at MS have just learned how to pronounce
> "security" and are still learning how to spell it.   This seems to be a long way
> from actually doing anything about it.

Funnily enough, I'm now, at last, beginning to earn money on the above.
It's taken awhile, but it's now becoming apparent - hard cash.

This machine, a Compaq el Cheapo notebook (that I'm writing this with
now) is dual-boot RedHat Enterprise Server 3 (RHEL3) and original XP
Prof. I checked yesterday with CIS-Win.exe and I'd have to have
something like 30 patches/SPs to make it safe. But, the first SP breaks
the Compaq drivers and renders boot impossible. The RHEL3 bit is a
simple upgrade from RedHat 7.2 and everything works, still.

Things have to be made easy for people. There are millions of cracked
Windows machines out there, spewing poison. Guess what has my vote.

It'll take a long while yet before home users will opt for Linux (no,
there's no real other choice - it's all to do with available software
and critical mass, e.g. marketing). But bottom line: between March 2002
and  March 2004, I'm beginning to make money, because the Windows market
in Holland (e.g. .nl TLDs) is fed up with lies "we promise it will get
better, if you'll only buy - errr sorry, lease,for ever and ever the
next version".

I used to be a 100% Microsoft and Windows person.

--Tonni

mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl