[Dshield] Microsoft Security Update CD

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Sat Mar 27 01:31:57 GMT 2004

All,

pursuant to earlier discussions on this list with respect to Microsoft's
offering of  free security update CD's, I received a copy of 2 CD's
which were handed out at a Microsoft Technet event this week. The first
CD contains security updates to Windows and the second CD contains a/v
software. I inquired with Microsoft reps about the expected frequency of
future updates  to the offering but none of the Microsoft contacts whom
I queried could provide a definitive answer. I suspect that the updates
will be available monthly or quarterly. The  CD containing the free a/v
software is based on the  Computer Associates  "Armor LE" anti-virus
software product  and it comes with  one year of free a/v signature
updates. I know little about this product and I seem to recall  that it
has not gotten "good press" which may explain why it is being handed out
at no charge. As most on this list are aware, Microsoft has acquired its
own a/v technology from a Romanian company  but I don't think it is the
same product as Microsoft has included in this package. I would be
interested to know if users on this list who have ordered and received
via mail the update CD also received the free copy of the a/v/ software.
The label on the marketing package that I received states that the
distribution is for the USA and Canada only.

--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International