[Dshield] Any reaonable way to measure connectivity speed?....

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Tue Mar 30 14:31:29 GMT 2004

Bob:

/* I am cc'ing posters to the list because Dshield moderation is
taking so very, very long */

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 08:29:24PM -0600, Bob Hillegas wrote:
> From: Bob Hillegas <bobhillegas at houston.rr.com>
> To: list at dshield.org
> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:29:24 -0600
> Subject: [Dshield] Any reaonable way to measure connectivity speed?....
>
> I'm telecommuting from Texas to Tennesee. I have noticed this past
> weekend a large loss of throughput. Is there any way on a linux box
> to quantify connectivity? I would like to know where the slowdown
> occurs.  In absence of being able to do that, I would like to be
> able to quantify what I am subjectively seeing in screen
> responsiveness so that I can know if changes I make are helping,
> hurting, or neutral.

You're asking questions that really cover a very wide area.

traceroute can take a snapshot of point-to-point connectivity at each
moment you run it, with the timings in each hop expressed in
miliseconds.

Note that the Internet is by definition transient and routes around
trouble, so that the path of a packet is *very* subject to change from
one minute to the next, even though that might not always happen.

Screen responsiveness is an entirely different issue.

I know of no way to measure that other than to sit with a stopwatch in
hand...

- John
--
"Mad cow? You'd be mad too, if someone was trying to eat you."