[Dshield] Any reaonable way to measure connectivity speed?....

john beck jbeck80 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 16:34:34 GMT 2004

They are all correct in the connection speeds of the dsl's, but that just
checks each sites bandwidth to the testing server, (which in theory should
be the same, but we know it fluxuates).  The real question is the mechinism
of remote access, are you tunneling? Or Accessing remote console via term
serv or pcanywhere, etc.  If tunnel, check the latency of the tunnel with
ping or packet generator from one home to work, I remember a neat tool from
Lucent that uses ICMP (same as traceroute) to show times of latency between
all hops between you and outside connection.  Another aspect in the tunnel
is IKE likes to fragment, the firewall logs will show your tranmissions, at
least the sonicwalls do, they will show fragmented packets along the vpn
tunnel.  In my experience vpn over dsl or cable for running remote sessions
is irratic (both sites are dsl or broadband), it can be good then change
then change back.  I even tried to use the QOS of the firewall to carve out
bandwidth and it did not seem to matter, fragmenting kills, also the router
that feeds the sessions may be using broadcast (netbios over ip) which adds
to latency.  I even found that running pcany session outside the tunnel is
way faster than inside the tunnel, but extremely less secure, trade for
performance.

Hope this helps your endeavors, I know it is not a open shut case, there are
many variables.
2¢