[Dshield] Any reaonable way to measure connectivity speed?....

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Tue Mar 30 17:15:35 GMT 2004

list-bounces at dshield.org <mailto:list-bounces at dshield.org> wrote on
Tuesday, March 30, 2004 5:29 AM UTC+3 on behalf of Bob Hillegas

| I'm telecommuting from Texas to Tennesee. I have noticed this past
| weekend a large loss of throughput. Is there any way on a linux box to
| quantify connectivity? I would like to know where the slowdown occurs.

Bob et al.

Might this be of help? This product displays, e.g. loss per cent per
each hop for transfers via any given route.

VisualRouteR Personal Edition
Analyze Connectivity Problems and Locate IP Addresses

Supported Platforms:

VisualRoute Personal Edition is available on the Windows, Solaris,
Linux, FreeBSD, and Mac OS X platforms.

http://www.visualware.com/personal/products/visualroute/index.html#platf
orms

During the last few years, I have used several versions of this product
and have been pleased with all of them.

Especially when bought as a bundled product it is quite inexpensive.

http://www.visualware.com/personal/purchase/index.html#bundles

Visualware, Inc. offers trial versions of the products so you can try it
without investing in it and see whether the product offers you what you
are looking for. Might also give you a clue where the loss of throughput
you have experienced takes place.

- Pete

            "We do not know a truth without its cause."
          Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC); Greek philosopher.