[Dshield] Any reaonable way to measure connectivity speed?....

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Wed Mar 31 11:39:51 GMT 2004

Maarten wrote:

> I have found a great utility to do something like this. It is called prtg and
> comes from paessler.com. It reads via SNMP the bytes send/received and
> calculated the bandwith used. Works on any available SNMP machine (routers,
> switches, servers etc.)

SNMP Security is an oxymoron. NEVER use SNMP on ANY device that is accessible by the Internet. Our policy is no SNMP nowhere, nohow, noway!

If you are using SNMP you might as well hand any script kiddie a list of passwords to the administrator accounts to all of your systems. Well, maybe it isn't quite THAT bad, but its close.

Jon Kibler
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer