[Dshield] Avoiding blacklisted web hosts

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Wed Mar 31 12:41:16 GMT 2004

> Is there a tool or service I can use that will
> check/has checked various web hosts for various security issues,
> including but not necessarily limited to e-mail status?

You can find a lookup tool at www.dnsstuff.com. One of the
tools will allow you to search most spam blacklists in one query.
Lookup the ISPs mail servers and see if they are blacklisted.

Next, search a few of the ISPs customers. If they don't have a
customer list, just check a few IP addresses in the vicinity of
their mail/dns servers.

In general: It can happen that you end up on a block list without
any fault of the ISP. (has happened to me a couple times ...).
The important part is how fast and cluefull they are about fixing
the issue. Try to talk to some of their customers about it.

phone: (617) 837 2807                          jullrich at sans.org