[Dshield] Avoiding blacklisted web hosts

Laura Vance vancel at winfreeacademy.com
Wed Mar 31 15:09:30 GMT 2004

I am in charge of building our firewall with searches for unwanted IPs
to block in the firewall to protect the network users (high school
students) from indecent material.  The thing that usually ends up
happening is when a web hosting service hosts "good" sites and "bad"
sites on one server / IP.  When sites are blocked by IP as in the
firewall, every virtual host on that single machine ends up being blocked.

One thing that I would check with any web host is if they host porn or
other types of inappropriate sites on the server where your site is
going to be hosted.  Also check their abuse policy to make sure that
they deal with spammers.  E-Mail hosting companies without abuse
policies are likely the ones that the big providers will block from
their email ports.

I hope that this information helps. :)

--
Thanks,