[Dshield] Flavors of Linux

John B. Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Mon Oct 4 00:37:27 GMT 2004

Jayawa,

I have to agree with Brian's comment regarding Microsoft NTFS. In
addition to very fine grained control over access to files in NTFS,.
support is provided within Microsoft Windows for discretionary ACL's and
auditing  for other cricital OS data structures such as the windows
registry. I think it is fair to say that  NTFS filre permissions are
more fine grained than those of Unix, but, unfortunately, their
resulting complexity makes them more of a challenge to manage properly.

Regarding your point on all of the extras required to manage a Windows
server OS, I think that one reason that Micrrosoft now gives away the
so-called Windows resource tools kit for Server 2003

     (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en),

 as opposed to charging for it (as was the case with Windows Server
2000), is due to the competition from Linux with all of its embedded OS
management functionality . Having said that, the tools provided by this
resource kit, and also those tools in the Windows support tools kit are
both extremely useful and vital for anyone performing system
administration of Windows servers.

--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad