[Dshield] Flavors of Linux

stephane nasdrovisky stephane.nasdrovisky at paradigmo.com
Mon Oct 4 15:16:09 GMT 2004

John B. Holmblad wrote:

> I think it is fair to say that  NTFS filre permissions are more fine
> grained than those of Unix, but, unfortunately, their resulting
> complexity makes them more of a challenge to manage properly.

What about file acl in the unix world ? File permissions are not limited
to the 3 rwx and setuid/setgid/don't remember the others permissions
anymore. i.e.: http://www.computerhope.com/unix/usetfacl.htm
The major difference between windows and unix, in my opinion, is that
there are no super user under windows: everything is permission based,
if you want a root-like account, you have to include it in admin groups
or give it allow everything permissions.
The latest permissions related paradigm in the unix world is 'role based
access control': http://csrc.nist.gov/rbac/