[Dshield] Cisco Router/Firewall - which is the best for me?

Lang, Michael # ATLANTA Michael.Lang at globalpay.com
Mon Oct 4 11:34:26 GMT 2004

Benjamin,

I think the piece of HW that is best suited for your needs is the PIX
501.   you can do everything that you listed with it; NAT, access-lists,
remote admin (VPN), IDS and URL filtering, and it also comes with a
built in 4 port switch.  It is also fully compatible with PPOE.  The
only thing that it does not do that I know of is traffic shaping.  For
this you might want to look at the 1720, it can also do most of the
features of the PIX with something called Context Base Access Control.
It is not as robust as the PIX when it comes to being a FW, but it will
do the job for a SOHO.  You also cant do aggressive mode VPN (remote
user) with the 1720.  The 501 is relatively inexpensive, you can buy a
refurbished one for about 300US.

Thank you,

Mike Lang
Network Security Engineer