[Dshield] Cisco Router/Firewall - which is the best for me?

Josh Tolley josh at raintreeinc.com
Mon Oct 4 16:26:11 GMT 2004

John B. Holmblad wrote:
> Benjamin,
>
> if power consumption is your problem, have you considered stripping down
> the PC to eliminate non-essential peripherals? Once  you do that you may
> be able to reconfigure the PC with a lower capacity power supply for
> less than the cost of purchase of an external firewall appliance.

I quite like Soekris (www.soekris.com) hardware -- very small, fairly
inexpensive, low-power, and reliable -- which is great for Linux or BSD
firewalls. There's plenty of other small form factor, low power hardware
you can choose that will run open source OS's and make great firewalls.

> On the ohther hand if your real goal is to get more first hand
> experience with Cisco equipment then maybe ebay is the place to look to
> fulfill your needs.

... but if you just want to learn Cisco, buy Cisco.

- Josh Tolley