[Dshield] Cisco Router/Firewall - which is the best for me?

mjost@cox.net mjost at cox.net
Tue Oct 5 14:13:51 GMT 2004

First I would like to say that this I my first post. I usually read this
email blog first thing each morning. I have found that it provides me more
insight. But I am a 'Newbie' compared to a lot of you here, so I appreciate
the comments. Having experience in the Windows side of the house, and having
to deal with Unix running LOB applications at a few of my accounts, I read
a lot of the comments posted here.

I agree with Mike. The PIX 501 v6.3 is a great small business firewall
appliance. I just configured my first one a few weeks ago and it was a snap
with the browser interface. PAT inside with DHCP on the outside is great
using a NON-static IP addresses. I later used the Fixit command to add a MS
XP Pro PPTP (1723) VPN connection for an Inside to outside connection since
PAT has the new standard. (Fixit does what several older commands
accomplished in just one command). It also has In to out IPsec passthrough.
The unit is licensed for 10 DHCP connections with licenses for additional if
needed. The browser interface can even print out the complete SHOW RUN dump
for you to see how it's actually configured. Having used other SOHO/Small
Firewall-routers ie Linksys, ect that have very limited features, this
appears to be worth the extra money to deploy. It will be my main go-to
device on the under 50-75 machine networks. Most of the older security
issues (ddos, frag, mail, ect) that have been thorns in older router OS's
are preconfigured to block and are enabled in the 501. I thought it might be
good to use as a site to site IPEC VPN connection but I would think it would
be awful slow. Maybe on a very small branch situation.

The larger Cisco 1721 or larger series are great if you need have a larger
network, or need more flexibility in the future or special connection needs
such as FR or T1, VLAN and VOIP QoS. And. as I understand it the 1721 VPN
encryption module allows up to 100 remote tunnels.

Mark