[Dshield] Ramifications of opening up MS Networking across IPX/SPX- to IP?

SAWYER Charlotte M Charlotte.M.Sawyer at state.or.us
Wed Oct 6 20:43:51 GMT 2004

Sounds to me like what you REALLY  need is a firewall -- IMHO protocol
differences are only a little bit of help, but racheting down the access to
a controlled list of capabilities may be a more appropriate way to handle
the technical issues.  In addition I generally caution about having a
network be more complex than it needs to be -- no matter what the perceived
reason(s).  Complexity can often come back to get you later........

> I < didn't see anything in your description of the situation that couldn't
be handled with IP and firewall functions.

In addition, I believe the "management challenge" you appear to have should
be addressed no matter what happens with the network -- it's unfortunate,
but often the "people stuff" is harder to deal with than the "technical
stuff".