[Dshield] Time stamp accuracy

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Wed Oct 6 23:49:06 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 16:40, Johannes B. Ullrich wrote:

> I am currently working on improvements to our report accuracy.
> One important issue is the time stamp accuracy. Many computer
> clocks are not exactly accurate.
>
> For quite a while, there is a somewhat hidden page on our site
> that will assist you (and us) in determining if your clock is
> setup right and your timezone is configured correctly.
>
> If you go to http://www.dshield.org/timestamp.php, the server
> will send a packet to your system on port 10000-10100. Hopefully,
> this packet will get blocked by your firewall, and later it
> will be reported to our database as you submit your reports.
>
> Once we got this report, we can compare the time you report to
> the time we sent the packet, and you will receive an email with
> the result.

Johannes, I (loosely) administer my "reporting" network remotely (the
box sending the reports is inside the network, but most of the time I'm
outside the network). Is this something participants are urged to do, or
simply something that would be nice? I can't see myself successfully
running your script from outside the network sending the reports.

Unfortunately, Netopia did not provide for automatic time sync in their
routers, nor do they allow time to be set to the second, so time is
likely to be an issue for me all of the time (I make adjustments as
needed whenever I get inside the network, but that isn't very
frequently).

Alan Frayer, CNE, CNI, CIW CI, MCP, Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Member: Independent Consultants Association (ICA)
Consultants - FREE Directory Listing - http://www.ica-assn.org