[Dshield] JVM is gone?

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun Oct 10 01:18:58 GMT 2004

fre, 08.10.2004 kl. 20.05 skrev Esler, Joel - Contractor:

> http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/
>
> Recognizing the need to provide a smooth transition for current users of
> the Microsoft(r) Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM), Sun Microsystems and
> Microsoft have agreed to extend Microsoft's license to use Sun's Java
> source code and compatibility test suites. This extension allows
> Microsoft to support the MSJVM until December 31, 2007, providing
> customers with the ability to transition from the MSJVM on a schedule
> and plan that is most effective for them.
>
> The MSJVM will reach its end of life on December 31, 2007. Customers are
> encouraged to take proactive measures to stay informed about obsolete
> software and move away from the MSJVM in a timely fashion. The MSJVM is
> no longer available for distribution from Microsoft and there will be no
> enhancements to the MSJVM. Microsoft products and SKUs currently
> including the MSJVM will continue to be retired or replaced by versions
> not containing the MSJVM on a schedule to be announced.
>
> Obsolete software, whether in the form of unsupported products, old
> service packs, or even expired certificates, is an issue every customer
> needs to be concerned with. Microsoft software life cycle communications
> help customers identify obsolete software in a proactive and ongoing
> fashion.

Although I'm a basic Microsoft antagonist ("hater" is too strong a word
;) that outfit *does* give alternatives (which we, in the Linux world
have been saying for ages).

Please give Microsoft credit for warning against the use of *OBSOLETE
SOFTWARE*, or: "Caveat Emptor".

Make of that what you will ...

--Tonni

--
«Livet er ein gamp», sa øyken.
I can confirm this.

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they