[Dshield] Anti-Spam Enterprise Products

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Tue Oct 12 18:09:40 GMT 2004

I have had some very negative experiences with Postini.  Not the least
of which was it's tendency to hang up the Dshield messages in the
Postini virus box when fragments of the virus coding were posted.  The
McAfee filter it uses was incapable of realizing that a text abstract of
a virus fragment was not the same thing as an infected email.  Likewise,
on more than one occasion important mail from customers was flagged as
spam and trapped.  A less than one percent error rate is NOT negligible
if the trapped email involved an offer of a six figure contract and
Postini decided to trash it.  Much, much smarter IMHO & E is to simply
create a filter of your own coding that auto sorts and deletes any email
in your in box from a foreign country based IP that you don't do
business with.  It requires spending some time doing some research, but
the reward of no spam is worth the trouble.  US originated spam to a US
recipient seems to be less than 3% of the total and is often easily
fixed by notifying the appropriate person.  If you don't do, or
anticipate doing, business with firms located in China, Mespotamia,
Brazil, Korea, etc., then why are you accepting emails from IPs located
there?  If do business with someone overseas, then find out their
originating IP and make your program flexible enough so  you can block
everything from (for instance) 220. except 220.235.6.168  Much better
than paying someone to filter your email.

Re: [Dshield] Anti-Spam Enterprise Products