[Dshield] Disable USB storage devices?

James C Slora Jr Jim.Slora at phra.com
Wed Oct 13 22:40:21 GMT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:07:32 -0400 Shane Presley wrote

> A colleague recently asked me if it was possible to disable a system
> (Windows 2000 & XP) from using USB storage devices?  For example, we
> want a system to be able to use USB printers, scanners, etc.  But we
> don't want a user to be able to plug in a memory stick or zip drive.

Another alternative I've looked at:

Sanctuary Device Control (formerly SecureNT)
http://www.securewave.com

It has both user restriction capabilities and monitoring. So if you allow
certain USB devices for certain users you can log files that are transferred
to and from the devices.

Remember that cameras, printers, and many other devices can carry files off
just as easily as a thumb drive. And humongous memory cards for those
devices are pretty cheap now.